Health and Fitness

Thursday, August 28, 2014

Coconut Oil: The Superfood and Super Cosmetic Product

Coconut oil is exciting because there is a long list of health, skin, hair and teeth benefits with no "ingredients" except for the coconut. oil.  It's packaged yes, but that organic, virgin coconut oil is straight from the coconut, ready to help you feel healthy and look vibrant.  What comes to mind when I think of a coconut is that tropical aroma, lounging on white sand while gazing out to the calm turquoise sea rolling in and out being canopied by palm trees and misted with cool sea air with each breeze.  I imagine it has this relaxing effect on the body when it's used!

For a list of evidence based health advantages visit this website!  The highlights are that it is a powerful anti-inflammatory agent, increases your energy to burn more fat, natural antiviral and antibacterial agent, kills hunger, prevent damage to hair (when applied to hair), natural sunscreen, moisturizes the skin, and the type of fat it contains promotes nerve and brain health.

To cook with it:

I will usually mix coconut oil with organic butter so that the coconut taste isn't as strong.  The best thing I have used coconut oil with is sweet potatoes.  Ill coat them in the oil before baking fries, or mix it into mashed sweet potato with some cinnamon.  I have used it in other savory applications, the aroma can be funky but the taste isn't noticeable.

To use in your hair:

It may seem odd to coat your head in coconut oil but the result is shiny and soft hair.  I'll take a tablespoon in my hand and start at the scalp massaging it in and then work my way down to the tip of my hair.  Once it's oiled up, put it in a bun and go about your day! Well, do this on a day off and don't lay on a pillow or anything because you'll leave oil stains! Wash it out a couple hours later with a good shampoo lather and light conditioner.

To moisturize the skin:

Use a small amount to cover an area so that it isn't too oiled, its great on the hands and especially the face.  I'll exfoliate my face, and then apply a thicker layer of oil and leave it on for about an hour, then I'll rinse it off and put a light moisturizer over that. (Since my skin is extra dry, most people don't need to do that)

Oil Pulling:

If you want radiantly clean teeth and healthy gums, then use coconut oil as a mouthwash!  Take about teaspoon into your mouth before brushing your teeth and swish it around for about 10 minutes.  You don't have vigorously swish it, just gently move it around and have it sit your mouth.  Then brush after and your teeth will feel so smooth and clean!

The brand I have been using is Whole Food's 365 organic, unrefined, virgin coconut oil!
      

No comments:

Post a Comment